Surprise and delight on hearing Gringa of the Barrio nominated me for The Versatile Blogger Award, a peer blog award. The award in itself makes me smile, as versatile – in mind, interests, tastes – is something I always admire and look for in others. Besides, I’m honoured and grateful for the gringa’s support, as it comes at a moment in which I could do with a bit of encouragement. In the face of world wars, events and elections, my inspiration has been lagging. To put it bluntly, the world outlook for 2017 is far from rosy, and I was beginning to wonder whether writing a blog made any sense at all.
So I guess in some very small way it does.
So thank you Gringa.
The part about having to write 7 things about yourself is tough as I tend towards privacy. I’ll go with 7 harmless ones:
- I love chocolate cake
- I don’t know in which language I dream. I think it relates to places and people.
- I’m crazy about skyscrapers and modern architecture.
- I love Champagne. Prosecco in a pinch. Never offer me Spumante.
- I can’t stand rude children
- I’m not – have never been – on Facebook. Statistics proving the ubiquity of false – often preposterous – information being believed and affecting recent elections show I’m sane. Or maybe just saner than most.
- To end on a positive note, I love sunrises, sunsets and the shapes of clouds.
The part about nominating 15 blogs is easier, though I have to leave out many that I enjoy and visit regularly. Some of my longtime favourites I’ve left out because I know they don’t do awards. I’ve included a few blogs I’ve just discovered. Of the 15, some have deep posts, some light ones, others are fun, some are poetic, some are thoughtful, some are inspiring. All are versatile and offer up the colourful diversity of humanity.
- Reflections on Existence
- Nancy Loderick’s Blog
- Suddenly Jamie (@suddenlyjamie)
- Poetry is my aeroplane
- Letters from Athens
- Random Storyteller
- Travels and Tomes: one Expat’s Amblings and Ramblings
- Jasmine Tea & Jiaoz
- The Joys of Joel
- El Coleccionista Hipnótico
- The World according to Dina
- Zip’s Law
- Friendly Fairy Tales
Here are the rules:
1. Thank the person who gave you this award.
2. Include a link to their blog.
3. Select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly.
4. Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award.
5. Tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.